Monday 5 May 2014

Mongongo Oil



Mongongo oil continues my profile of not so common oils in the hair world, the first was cactus oil.  I first heard about this oil on a blog from a hair blogger based somewhere in southern Africa; I think she shut down her blog I can no longer find it unfortunately. Anyway Mongongo oil comes from the nuts of the Mongongo tree, a tree predominant in the Southern African belt also known as Manketti. Mongongo nut from where the oil is extracted has a very high vitamin E and linoleic acid content it also contains calcium, magnesium, iron, copper and zinc among others. The best thing about this oil is that because it has a very high g-tocopherol (vitamin E) content it doesn’t become rancid even in the hottest of environments.  Because of all the amazing vitamins, minerals and acids found in Mongongo oil it serves as a heat protectant doubling up as a natural sunscreen when used on the hair in addition to hydrating and  rejuvenating dry and damaged hair. Mongongo oil softens hair leaves it frizz free and full of shine. Mongongo oil can be used as a pre poo, sealant, on its own for shine or added to deep conditioners and is also great for the skin too. Go here for more information on Mongongo oil.
Meanwhile while doing my usual online newspaper reading I came across an article that claimed that there was a new trend in some Kenyan cities where black Kenyan women are going to the salons with their Indian-Kenyan friends with long hair in a case of “cut some of her hair off and put it on my head” this is what one salon owner who has had this request from some of her clients said so I guess it must be true. On one hand I am tempted to think that’s great at least you know exactly where the hair you are putting on your head comes from on the other hand I am like it’s never that serious. What do you guys think of this trend?

4 comments:

  1. Like you said, it's never that serious lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It never is lol I can't believe the lengths these women are going for to get real human hair lol!

      Delete
  2. Lol wow this is weird, but hey let me not say much, am a wig/weave user.
    Interesting about the mongongo oil, never heard of it before, but it does sound like magic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is! You could ask your mum or relatives back home about Mongongo tree because it grows in Malawi as well the eastern part of Malawi according to Wikipedia.

      Delete

Thank you for reading...feel free to add a comment, suggestion or question. I am always happy to hear from you! Lydz.